Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Let the music play!

be happy with yourself
Music is the soul of life.
Like many of us I can relate to the beauty of music. It’s like the best lover anyone can have – it makes you laugh, can make you cry, comforts you, inspires you, and most importantly, it heals.
We’ve all had songs that represent different things to us. I remember Justin Timberlake’s cry me a river; ah! What that song did to me, eh?! Hmmmm!
And then there was the hippie Destiny Child’s bills bills bills. Lol! I know a lot of guys hated that song cos it reminded them of their, ahem, inadequacies. Hehehehe!
Britney Spears had the stronger than yesterday song that was able to make us dance and also reminded us that we are stronger than all of our problems.
Jessie had all of us dancing and miming last year with price tag. It still is a song I can call on anytime I feel the need to remind myself that money is just an instrument, I am already an amazing person with or without that instrument J
Coming down to home country, I think Eldee just completed my last year’s wish with that na wash track. It’s so true to the nature of the typical Nigerian.
And that is what I want us to take a minute to talk about.
Why do we pretend?
Think about it for just one minute.
Why do we try so hard to impress others? Why do we lie? Why do we try to jeopardise ourselves for things or people that are just as human – with their own challenges – as we are?
When you say to your friend: “Oh, I just got back from New York, I turned down Elite Model offer.” When we can all see that you are not exactly a model structure, what really are you trying to prove?
When you say: “He proposed but I’m still not sure if I should say yes.” When the guy in question doesn’t even know you exist. What is the point of that lie?
Or when you claim: “I can’t live on the mainland” when your whole family grew up there, what is the point of that statement?
I guess to some extent many people are guilty of living false lives. Maybe it is just a need to ‘belong’ to a certain class, or be approved by certain people, or for respect. Whatever it is, the worst part of being insincere about who you are is the fact that you soon begin to believe your own falsehood, and cannot tell the difference between a lie and the truth at some point.
And that is dangerous.
At certain phases of our lives, we feel like we are not exactly living up to the blueprint we have lined out, and since it looks like we are still very far from attaining it, we decide to believe we are there by lying about the situation.
The sad thing about lies is that it doesn’t end there, it births other more grave issues that can lead to actions and dire consequences.
If we really think about why we do some of the things we do – claiming to be what we are not – we would be able to appreciate the folly of it.
Truth is, people who really care about you do not need to love you or respect you because of a status you claim by lying, they already do! They do not need to be impressed because their love (for you) already births care, a certain level of respect and understanding for whatever situation you are in
So what this means is, we spend way too much time trying to impress too many people who don’t give a damn about us. People who still wouldn’t give a damn if or when we get to achieve some of those blatant lies we tell.
Now, as you sip your morning tea, ask yourself: is it worth it?
I am already a wonderful person, blessed, able to achieve my goals in life, beautiful, and caring. Why do I need anyone to approve of me if I need to lie to get their love and acceptance?
Have a glorious day!
-          Adaora

4 comments:

  1. THUMBS UPADAORA ..........LETS KEEP THE MUSIC PLAYING

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Ups my BBB!!! Let's keep the music playing as we dance to show our steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess sometimes this lies add up to to make one feel good abt him or herself so if the music keeps playing I will have a good dance

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmmmmmmmm this is serious food for thought

    ReplyDelete