Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Too Thick to be Famous?

Yesterday I was told I couldn’t be on the cover of a magazine because… “you are not that popular.”

I beg your pardon????
If Gabby can do it, so can any plus-size woman!


Now that ticked me off! I am usually well-mannered and can be extremely patient with people. But for anyone to tell me that my blog gives me more popularity than my over 15 years in the movie industry, I think that is just the most depressing thing to say!

As part of my publicity to push my brand, there’s a possibility that I would be in the media often so that the brand grows. One of that push was for the cover of a magazine. It’s heart breaking to now hear that…”she is not big enough in the industry to grace a cover”…. “her size might not encourage young girls to live healthy…” etc.

I work just as hard as anyone else, and as a plus-size I have to work even harder. And I am not complaining; I give my career the best shot.

But yesterday, it just dawned on me that no matter how I try, there are still somethings that are going to be used to judge my talent. It looks like it is better to be slim and un-talented than to be big and talented. People just don’t want to deal with your size. But it is not their problem to deal with, so why discriminate? And to be sincere, I have never thought my weight was an issue to anyone else except myself. Still I am happy the way I am. I eat right, I exercise, I love life.

If I was probably a size 4 and with not much of a talent, I would have been on every cover magazine, right? Even if my talent is in question.

Yesterday was hard. I flared up when I heard those words. But I took it all in. I prayed and continue living my life.

I am big. I am talented. It is who I am. I love me. What more does life want from me?

Enjoy today, as always!

-          Adaora


11 comments:

  1. that's life, Ada. people will judge you mostly by what they see. it's the way of humans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmmm, this blog giving u more popularity than ur acting career? LMAO..... That is so not true! I think u are really underrated, u deserve more endorsements and magazine covers......... Like I will always say, not everyone loved Jesus Christ ..... Keep flying, the sky is your starting point... Much love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's only in Nigeria I see people or agents swapping talent the other way round..... Lots of great pple were turned down and they never stayed down so it's a sign of greatness just keep up your strength

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a great actress Adaora with wonderful acting skills so what the heck can the person be talking about.Whoever said that should sit on my middle finger that is exactly what I am typing with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ada!! I must truly say dat u're beautiful & talented. If we think dat all the time pple say negative tins abt us dat dey re judging us,we may neva regard negative criticisms. Given dat sme pple re jst haters,sme re also constructive critics!! I'm an example of reacting positively 2 wat pple say abt u. I used 2 be a size 16 & sme pple wld call me so fat,sme wld say u nid 2 loose weight,sme made apparently made my life miserable,my self esteem dwindled. I decided 2 use d criticisms,I took healthy challenging measures,now i'm a size 10 & I feel good.Staying healthy & fit is a neccessity.Sme pple re ova weight,not their faults,could be d kinda lifestyle dey were allowd 2 indulge in as kids. Their re very healthy measures & exercises dat can help pple look good & feel good.Whether u re size zero or plus size,u shld stay healthy,fit,toned & smart!!! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't let that get to you pls pls pls my Diva plzzz

    ReplyDelete
  7. The probs I think it's not about being a plus sized its about staying healthy. Loosing to a size 10 doesn't mean you can keep the weight off. Some weight issues are highly genetic I must say so let's keep it all nice easy and healthy.
    I love you Adaora just be yourself because it's YOU

    ReplyDelete
  8. PLEASE DON'T JOIN THE CROWD WHEN YOU CAN STAND OUT

    ReplyDelete
  9. People will always talk no matter what I am very small in size people still complain so I don't listen to dem nd I don't let dem get at me rather at d end of d day dey will be d ones to feel bad,so don't pay mind to what dey say I only listen to what God says abt me...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dear I under go insult every now and den just bcuz am fat. I dnt mind been on υ̲̣̥я̩̥̊ run way. To show my fat self to the world that am proud of myself. Plz I need υ̲̣̥я̩̥̊ reply.keep the good works GOD will see U̶̲̥̅̊ tru it all. Amen Muahhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmmmnn! My dear,what hvnt i done 2 loose weight?am a size 16,i get all sorts of insults 2 d extent that my bf of 2yrs called me yokosuna one day and said am too fat 4 him,which made me wonder,u met me fat and he wsnt blind then.i once won d beauty contest as miss big and beautiful and at a frnd party one day,one dude worked up to me and said"U ARE TOO BEAUTIFUL TO BE FAT"i wept like a baby and told myself,i wnt let it get to me.am size 16,even if i dnt loose weight,am trying my best not to add up.people can be so mean

    ReplyDelete