Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Love. Plus-sized. And all that jazz!

Valentine is almost here *coughs*. I feel a certain kind of excitement that even the typical anticipated Lagos traffic and all-round madness may not be able to quench. Like every young lady, I am a sucker for love. But I have grown, and as every year passes I learn one new thing about how to love, how to receive, and how to give entirely to whatever it is that gets your blood pumping at that moment – it may not be a lover; it could mean a business idea, a project that has taken off already, anything!
At the moment, I’m not sure what it is that is getting my heart racing. It’s still a new year, and truly there is a brand to build….
Ok. Let me take this time to talk about my brand a bit.
You see, I got into Nollywood when it was still a dribbling toddler, barely able to stand, speak or co-ordinate its thoughts. It was a dream for me cos I’d always wanted to act. So through getting a degree in Law from The University of Lagos, I engaged part-time in acting, until I had my feet firmly on the ground to be a full-time actor – or so I thought.
There was a time I actually did think that I was getting the right kind of growth and progression in the industry. It seemed really slow but I was grateful for the jobs I got and I gave them my very best shot – oh yes, I pushed myself to the limits when it had to do with interpreting my roles, and I was glad with the, “Isn’t Adaora such a good actor?!” comments that came from fans and even from colleagues. But then……….I’m not sure what happened really, but it seemed I met a brick wall, or my career was a stalemate. I grew from confused to angry to confused again to bitter to sad, and then to prayerful. I tried not to focus on the cliché reasons of being a plus-size actress therefore being naturally limited to “good, more promising roles”, but it was hard not to get miserable over that excuse. I realised when the jobs came, they were tied to particular kind of roles that had to do with playing a mother, or an over-fed unattractive bitter sister-in-law, anything but the major and glamorous roles.
Sigh!
I’m not even going to pretend and say I shrugged it off. I tried to, yet it still hurts like an open sore. I know we live in a skinny world, with skinny people taking all the cream. How we got there, I am not sure….oh wait! Of course I’m sure! It’s all these glossy covers that celebrate size 0 women that make it hard for a young woman to eat a healthy plate of eba and ofe-nsala without feeling guilty (LOL!). I heard once that a lady had to take slim-enhancing tablets just so she could keep her job in front of the cameras. Women are anorexic, vomiting food after digestion just to stay a size 0. Men would look past the chubby girl and rest their lustful stares on the slimmer woman.
Let’s just say it’s a tough world for plus size people!
And in all of this, I have tried so many times to lose weight, just so I can ”fit in” (not sure what that means anymore) but I have come to realise that I am who I am; what would the world be like if we all had to be slim? Where is the variety of life if God created us all the same? I was hungry for challenging roles as an actress, and a more focused career that is beefed up with endorsements and sort, just like anyone with proper ambition would think for themselves; and to be hampered because of the way-you-look…aaaah! It just kills! But anyway I have gradually grown beyond it, and the healing and complete acceptance of who I am continues despite it all.
On a positive note, it’s a new year and I’ve got a lot of things packed and ready to push in 2012, things that will succeed regardless of how big or skinny I am! That is the life I have been able to discover. And that, sometimes, is the blessing that comes out of a situation you cannot handle. If you let people’s judgement of you come between your true abilities then you have become a slave to them and would live a life that satisfies them; and what a miserable life that would be!
I am finding a lot of “new” love for my career and for things I can birth out of just being who I am. As the days go by, and you come around here, you’ll find one exciting thing or the other that I and my team are working on. Even if I show any signs of giving up, my relentless publicist isn’t going to let that happen. Lol!
So in the spirit of love, I would say: find the kind of love that keeps your energy alive. We all deserve love, but not all of us will experience that I’ll-climb-mount-gilbrata-for-you kind of love, but know that you are surrounded by love always, even when you are totally unaware of it!
I’m wishing you a lovely day. And I’d like you to pop in here every day cos there’ll be good reason to. I am keeping my blog alive and fresh this year – like a cup of tea every morning, you’ll find that aha! moment in my cafe *wink*
So let’s just say this is the year for Adaora – plus size and all that jazz! Lol!
Enjoy a wonderful day!
-          Adaora



11 comments:

  1. wow! you took the words right out of my mouth. wishing you all the best, Adaora. And happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I'm sooo inspired by dis write up, it seems like yu were just talking to me directly and telling those encouraging words I need...I support that d plus size ladies like us in nollywood believe in ourselves bcos we can alwayz make a differece like yu did ever since I watched coporate runz yu've been an inspiration to me and me and my mum have loved you and still love to death....kip it up Ada I'm following your bumper as d sky is just your starting point in 2012....love yu silly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Adaora I lσνǝ you more for this,☂hαñks alot for the support. Being comfortable in your own skin is one of the major problems of African women, you have said it all. You are a̶̲̥̅̊ great inspiration. I lσνǝ you plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff, Ada. would never have thought it was this hard in the industry. wow! anyways, i'm wishing you a great 2012 cos you deserve it! I'm so impressed with your writing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great write up with an amazing choice of words, keep the fire burning sister. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. QUITE INFORMATIVE AND EDUCATIONAL
    QUALITY STUFF YOU HAVE WHAT OTHERS DONT HAVE SO HOLD TIGHT TO IT. sounds like cliche though but YOU ARE GOOD AT WHAT YOU DO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adaora, I must say u are a wonderful and inspirational Writer and ur sense of humour is great.... This blog will go places, Keep it up..... Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm proud of you Ada!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm proud of you Ada; for strength lies not in the physical but in an indomitable will.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful piece i must say

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dats a touchin write up....am speechless....u've said it all.am rweelly proud of u my divadora

    ReplyDelete